Saturday, January 5, 2008

Creative Cycle part III

Well I sent out an email to my people and included the wrong link to this blog so updating it
and will get out a corrected email through Constant Contact.com If you are reading this and want to be on my email list for show announcements and other images send an email to reif@reif.com
PS The fence yesterday blew down and broke off an outdoor faucet that was running into the street for half a day before we noticed the water pressure was down in the house. Was a wet job capping off the pvc pipe but all is well, again. Stay warm and dry. Reif
CREATIVE CYCLE
part III
This leads me to the fourth Aspect: Detachment.

In nature, Winter is the time where all the growth takes place unseen under the earth in the roots.

In my art, color is put down and worked with until nothing further can be done with that color, in that moment a release comes, the detached moment when my mind goes from the small detail back to the larger pattern of values. I become the observer of myself.

And so is Life. Detachment is the place where I become the true observer of my life and thoughts. This can be symbolized by holding onto life with an open hand, and not a closed fist of greed, desire, and want. Detachment to me is a sacred place and the place of real beginnings. This is the place of quiet reflection, and listening deeply to the inner self.

Being stuck in Detachment is living life without the “ah-ha s” with no inspiration at all. An unwillingness to look at the deeper self of who you are, this is an old habit of mine. This can be a lonely and depressed place. But, I have learned to keep moving at a slower pace, to cut myself some slack. Cycles will eventually change if I keep moving. There is also another secret that propels me forward. An Attitude of Gratitude.

I am constantly avoiding the polarities of thinking in black and white, right and wrong, to do or not to do, but learning the art of having an open mind as the Buddhists would teach. I avoid the anxiousness and anxiety of the day as much as possible, and practice forgiveness of myself for being human, and forgiveness of others for being themselves, and I try not to take things personally. It’s not easy, but I know I can get stuck when I think in polarities of me vs. them, or right vs. wrong. I consciously love myself with my flaws and move on into the moment. Gratitude circumvents the inner critic. It leads to acceptance of self with all my limitations, knowing I don’t have to do it all myself. It’s a place of trust in something bigger than myself.

I also remind myself to listen to my thoughts as they surface and to modify the undesirable thoughts. I mean, I add something to the thought that will change the meaning. I might say to my self: “I should have said something.” To me changed to “ I look forward to an appropriate time to speak my truth.” Or I might say, “I really screwed that up” and change it to “I am thankful I am human and can make mistakes.” Or, I might realize “I was driving to fast and close today” and modify it to “I look forward to being able to cruise more relaxed.” And so detachment is the ultimate clearing of one’s mind of business or busy-ness.

In creating a life, the key is to prepare myself by releasing the grip on life as it is,… of what others think,… of labels that Ego places on our actions as good or bad, …and to know each moment in gratitude …in thankfulness…. and joy and peace.
I also get stuck in Detachment is the inability to let go of things. I collect a lot of stuff, and throw very little away. To flow with the creative cycle of change I know I have to let go more often, and that does not come easy for me.

And then the cycle repeats itself, out of the openness of mind a new inspiration comes unexpectedly, and in that moment I choose to listen or not listen. It usually does not come with a loud voice for I must learn to listen in stillness and to follow the dream. It takes practice, but it IS the natural order of things.

I want to tell you a story of a Zen student who was having a hard time meditating. He continually saw a red dragon and a white dragon fiercely battling within his mind. So he went and asked his master, “Whenever I try meditating, I see two great dragons locked in combat, and I get anxious as to who will win.” The master’s reply, “The winner will be the one you feed.”

We are all creative and are responsible not for our past or the future, but only for this very moment – the eternal now. What are you creating? … What dragon are you feeding? …. I want to leave you with a challenge. I want you challenge you to Dream big, and be willing, and committed to fill the shoes to walk that dream.
Thanks for your interest and support

No comments: